Re: [Amps] 3CX400/3CX800 Socket

To: Charles Hedrick <cchedrick@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3CX400/3CX800 Socket
From: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 12:01:18 -0600
Adding a 3rd tube is an interesting issue.

First I am speaking in general terms.   I am not familiar with the 76.

I have pondered this as a paper exercise and came away thinking there
is a lot more to it than just adding a socket and connections for a
third tube with the chassis space.   It seems to me that in general an
additional tube:

changes the anode Z so the output network may need a redesign or adjustment

may cause stress to the bandswitch, inductors and load caps

may draw too much current on the plate choke

Assuming cooling and h.v. supply are not issues, you have to work out
the new filament supply and maybe a change in the input Z

If the plate blocking caps were barely okay before they may have to be
replaced.

Anyway I found it an interesting thing to contemplate.

73

Rob
K5UJ