Re: [Amps] 3CX800A7 Grid Current Problem

To: "'Paul Elliott'" <paab@valornet.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3CX800A7 Grid Current Problem
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 12:42:17 -0500
Often the plate choke is designed with less than optimum inductance on 160
and sometimes 80 meters. This is done to avoid choke resonance on the higher
bands.
With the smaller choke it must be resonant on 160 and that is accomplished
by using part of the plate tune capacitance to resonate the choke. This adds
more current in the choke bypass capacitor. If that capacitor is too small
or gets warm it will drift and you will get the results that you observed.

73
Gary  K4FMX