[Amps] Elecraft W2, or other"best" meter for tweaking the beast(s)?

To: "Amps@contesting.com" <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Elecraft W2, or other"best" meter for tweaking the beast(s)?
From: Jim Barber <audioguy@q.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2012 19:07:57 -0800
Has anyone tried the Elecraft W2 bar-graph wattmeter for tweaking their
legal-limit amp? I read somewhere that the peak-hold is something like a
second. If so, probably too long to be useful for my purposes.

I have a calibrated LP-100A, and while it's plenty "accurate" enough for
most amateur use, the display doesn't update quickly enough for easy
tuning in normal peak mode, and the peak hold is something like 10
seconds - again not useful for tuning an amp.

So... I also have a Bird 43 with a peak-reading board, which actually
works fine for bench use, but isn't great as a fixed-station device. The
one I keep going back to is the old Heathkit HM-2140 with the op-amp
peak circuit. The timing of the peak-hold circuit just seems to work for
me for tuning amps, but the meter faces are relatively small and it's
quite old now.

Again - I'm not looking to start another accuracy debate. Ultimate
accuracy really isn't the point - I can use the LP-100A at the end of
the circuit for absolute readings. Ease of use, timing of the
peak-reading circuit and other amenities for tuning amps are the
criteria I'm using here.

Thanks,
Jim N7CXI