Re: [Amps] Buying Stolen Tubes?

To: 'AMPS' <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Buying Stolen Tubes?
From: "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kirkby@onetel.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 05:57:23 +0000
On 03/13/12 11:31 PM, Gary K9GS wrote:
> I remember hearing, I think it was a TV news story, several years ago
> that said 60% is stolen.  Seems a little high to me but it may be in
> some categories.
>
> It would be an interesting thing to Google.

Yes, perhaps there is 60% stolen in some categories. I could believe that
figure.

Something else I know, is there are a lot of fakes on eBay. There was someone
selling holders for hard disks which go in IBM servers. (These are generally
called skeds or sleds).

He had two adverts - one for non-original IBM holders, and another for what he
said were genuine IBM holders. The difference in price was quite substantial,
so
I decided to buy 4 of the non-IBM ones, see if they were OK, and if they were,
I'd buy enough for all my IBM servers. They came from Hong Kong or China - I
forget which.

When these non-original ones arrived, they looked just like the real thing.
They
are diecast metal, and clearly have "IBM" in the die cast. So these are not
just
IBM compatible, they are fakes.

I've got to admit, it did not stop me buying some more. I knew they were fakes,
but they are 100% compatible, and much cheaper than what he says are original
IBM ones. I suspect the originals and the fakes are just the same to be honest.

A friend tells me a lot of items are fake on there, but at prices the people
buying them know they are fakes, so they are quite happy.

I'm aware of a friend who paid £600 for a fake handbag, and made a claim from
eBay/Paypal. That was a complete joke, as eBay

* Made my friend pay for an expert to examine the goods. The expert was chosen
by eBay

* When the expert agreed the handbag was a fake, my friend had to FAX documents
to Paypal. As you know, FAX is pretty uncommon nowadays, but to make it
difficult, the documents had to be FAXed.

The only good point was that once the handbag was proven to be a fake, eBay
said
it should be destroyed, and not returned to the seller. So needless to say it
never got destroyed, and my friend got a fake handbag free - apart from the
costs of paying the expert eBay appoint, and paying the costs of FAXing the
document.

One might hope that eBay would swallow the cost of the expert they insist you
use, but my friend never got that money back.

Dave