Re: [Amps] Guidelines.....toroids for tank ckts

To: <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Guidelines.....toroids for tank ckts
From: "Jeff Blaine" <keepwalking188@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 18:16:40 -0500
Dave,

For the low bands, the #2 red is pretty widely used.  The 3M tape for that
(forget the number) is pretty expensive but it's strong and won't breakdown
in moderate heating.  For the higher bands, air core types are small enough
to fit even into some tiny spaces so there's typically no good reason to put
up with the compromises (lower Q and heat loss) that a toroid necessary
involves.

The big mistakes made on these are trying to use a single toroid for 2
bands - as Carl says below, one toroid - one band.  And not providing any
consideration for heating if you are into high duty cycle modes like RTTY.
You can find a lot of comments on both of these issues in the last couple of
year message history.

73/jeff/ac0c
www.ac0c.com
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie