Re: [Amps] FWD: Ham Radio Amp - $8500 (Louisville Ky) 3CX10000-a7

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] FWD: Ham Radio Amp - $8500 (Louisville Ky) 3CX10000-a7
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2012 21:31:12 -0400
On 4/5/2012 3:57 PM, Carl wrote:
> A PP 4-400 modulator will barely tickle that tube.
Let's see...12 KW dissipation.  GG takes a peak of 1540 watts of drive,
but that gives you 24KW out and it'll do this up through 2 meters and past
24000/.6=40KW peak in, or 40000/240 or only 166A My electrical service
would do that and still have enough left over for lights and the air
conditioner, but I might want to unplug the freezer and refrigerator.
OTOH at only 885 W drive it still gives over 17KW out and you could save
money on a less expensive driver and should work well for local contacts.

Let's see... There's two homes with 200A services, but no way would that
pole pig handle 40KW except for maybe a half hour at a time...Yah, it'd
probably handle CW and SSB OK and I could use my DX-2sp as a driver.

Hmmm... I'd have to quit using N connectors on six and two...replace the
8X to the 40 meter dipole, and most likely put corona balls on the ends
of the antennas. I understand the old, copper floats for toilets work
well.  I'd probably have to stick close to resonance on 160 and 75

Plate modulated by a pair of 4-400's?  Sounds like the 100MPG
carburetor, or he's been running it a wee bit on the easy side.

I'd sure like to see a photo of it.

73

Roger (K8RI)