[Amps] Plate blocking cap voltage

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Plate blocking cap voltage
From: John Lyles <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2012 19:50:47 -0600
If the capacitor is a blocker, then you would want it to have enough
nanofarads to make a low value of Xc at the worst case (lowest)
frequency, while not being far past self-resonance into higher XL.

Figuring the highest reactance possible, and the line current through
it, you should have a low RF voltage across it. In that case, then it is
withstanding the B+ voltage for the most part. With plate modulation, it
would of course be higher. Assuming that there are transients,
overshoots when energizing a power supply, and occasional high line
voltage, you would take this value and add some safety factor. Caps
typically have a working voltage rating, and you should  be somewhat
under this for long life. I don't think 3 times the HV is necessary. I
concur with Carls suggested 5 or 7.5 kV ceramic caps.

73
John
K5PRO