Re: [Amps] Tubes vs. Solid State (was) Expert Amps2K-FA:AnyOpinions?

To: "'Paul Christensen'" <w9ac@arrl.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tubes vs. Solid State (was) Expert Amps2K-FA:AnyOpinions?
From: "Alex Eban" <alexeban@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 19:48:06 +0300
..modern RF transistors are enclosed in a so called cavity package: the
upper side of the die and the top cover are separated by an air gap. The
vast majority of the heat is transferred through the mounting flange, not
the top of the case.
Besides the temperature mentioned in the data sheet is the junction
temperature, not the case temperature. The latter is usually a few tens of
degrees centigrade lower that the maximum junction temperature.
Vapor phase cooling was in vogue for tubes mainly due to the danger of
humidity and high voltage in combination. Cooling water contaminates very
quickly in an amplifier due to ion decomposition. The situation is slightly
better with vapor cooling but still, it's an invitation to arcing problems.
For amateurs there's nothing better than air cooling and a hefty heatsink.
At most, what we can reasonably use is a mounting plate drilled for water
circulation. This is exactly what Philips recommend for their BLFXXXX series
of power devices. It depend mainly on water circulation speed and the air
flow over the external heat exchanger.
Guys, remember, the fluid cooling is intended for situations where size is
critical: it's complicated, needs a lot  of protection devices and circuits,
take up energy for blowers and pumps and so on....
All of these exotic systems were invented in order to solve specific
problems of size and/or heat transfer to a point more amenable to cooling.
It came to a point where an airborne system had the heat exchanger mounted
under the airplane's wing, while the equipment itself was inside the plane.
Do we really have this kind of situation?
Alex    4Z5KS