[Amps] ferroresonant power supplies

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] ferroresonant power supplies
From: "Danny Pease" <dpease@adams.net>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 16:56:35 -0500
Since ferroresonant power supplies were mentioned, I have to ask the
question, why aren't they used for high voltage supplies? My experience with
them has been at a lower voltage, 26 VDC. Is there a reason other than
weight and expense, that they are not used for high voltage supplies?

I also did not notice the regulation being all that great on the ones I was
exposed to, it seemed voltage from minimal load to full load was almost 10
percent and I also noticed it seem the output voltage was higher with lower
input voltage, example - a 26.5 VDC output with 230 vac in would be 29 VDC
out with 208 VAC in. Another issue was what I considered really high ripple,
around 10 percent with almost 5 percent with minimal load and that was wit
400,000 uF of filter.

The saving grace was they had very few parts and practically never failed.

NG9R