Re: [Amps] DRAKE L4B ON EBAY/ extraordinary price

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] DRAKE L4B ON EBAY/ extraordinary price
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 09:58:07 -0400
At nearly every hamfest I attend, I get drawn in to inspecting the Ameritron
amps. Usually, the covers are removed so the components are easily observed.

The AL series transformer may be more robust being of a Hypersil type, but
to me, that quality component is over-shadowed by thin-wire Miniductor
stock, marginal quality band-switches, sheet-metal construction, thin-wall
RF deck separator board, etc.

I have no doubt that electrically, the AL series is fine; there are just too
many of them out there that run fine with minimal or no problems.  Still, it
would be nice if mechanical construction was commensurate with electrical
performance - like the L4B.

Paul, W9AC