[Amps] "babying" radios and tubes, can do or not?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] "babying" radios and tubes, can do or not?
From: Charles Harpole <k4vud@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 07:17:22 +0000
I want to know if there are any REAL benefits from babying a radio or an amp?

I hear lots of talk about running lower RF power to "save the finals" or "save
the tubes" and even hear people talk about turning radios off for taking a one
hour (or less) break.

We do know, probably, that high inrush current may stress parts inside tubes.
But, there must be some smart folks who test things to destruction who can
speak with scientific instead of parental certainty about this.

It seems to be true that one can run any of the usual amp tubes at rated specs
for hundreds of thousands of hours before they really go bad?

I guess tiny impurities in the metal and not a perfect vacuum does lead to
failure eventually, but what are the real reasons?

What is the real physics condition of a so called "soft" tube?  Why?

What is really the cause of transistor failure if always operated within specs?

And, if you run your 100 watt radio at 80 watts, are you "saving" the radio or
just your electric bill?

Inquiring minds want to know.  Please.
73

Charles Harpole