Re: [Amps] opening up a transformer

To: "Charles Hedrick" <cchedrick@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] opening up a transformer
From: "Jerry Kaidor" <jerry@tr2.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 08:57:21 -0700 (PDT)
> power surge hit it....the only piece of equipment plugged in, but there
> were not TS around.  Anyway, any advice on going into a transformer?
*** Once you get the wraparound sheetmetal cover off, the core will consist
of "E" laminations and "I" laminations.  Use a little knife or whatever to
tease off the first lamination.  The first few will be hard, the rest are
easy.  Generally they're stuck together with some sort of lacquer.  Once
you get all the laminations out, you're left with a coil wound on a form.
Just unwind until you find the offending wire. It helps if you make a
holder for the coil form - something with a wooden stand and a bolt
through it and something on the bolt to hold the coil - that way you can
just pull,
and it will turn.

   I actually did this once.  I had a big surplus low-voltage transformer,
and what I actually needed was a filament/bias/plate transformer for a
Galaxy 5 that I had picked up at the flea market sans PS.  So I bought
a big roll of appropriate magnet wire and wound the needed HV windings.
Magnet wire, BTW is not cheap.  I seem to remember paying $30 for enough
to do the job 20 years ago.  Probably more now.  Traditionally, the layers
are insulated with paper - wind a layer, put on some paper, wind another
layer, more paper etc.  Now I would be tempted to try teflon plumbers tape
instead of the paper.

   After you wind the coil, you put back the laminations.  Possibly with
lacquer or varnish to stick them together.  Messy job.  You will not be
able to get them together as neatly as they were originally, and you might
have to leave out one or two.  But it will still work.

                              - Jerry Kaidor, KF6VB