Re: [Amps] Lines Voltage High

To: Manfred Mornhinweg <manfred@ludens.cl>, "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Lines Voltage High
From: Glen Zook <gzook@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 21:11:27 -0700 (PDT)
Most appliances sold in the U.S. these days can handle 130-volts without any
problems.

As far as incandescent light bulbs go, yes, the 120-volt bulbs sold in most
places burn out in a hurry with the higher ambient line voltage.  There are
130-volt bulbs available but most stores do not stock them because when a
person switches to the 130-volt bulbs the sale of light bulbs goes down
drastically!  Some times, at home-improvement centers, your can purchase bulbs
for 130-volts.  But, again, they are usually displayed in places that one does
not see them right away.

Of course, with the restriction on the efficiency of light bulbs now coming in
the United State, things are going to be different.

When I was with TXU I was on the "speakers bureau" which provided speakers for
clubs, organizations, etc., at no cost.  My topics were usually grounding and
lightning protection although I got "drafted" to present talks on nuclear power
generation.  No matter what the topic, I usually got at least one question from
the audience as to why the light bulbs did not last as long as they did in the
past.  My standard answer was to get 130-volt bulbs.  When I happened to "run
into" someone who was at one of my presentations where the question was asked,
they would tell me that they did find 130-volt bulbs and were not having any
problems with the light bulbs failing.

As for any regulations requiring the higher voltage there are none, at least
that I have heard of.  As for failing appliances, they just don't fail because
the vast majority can handle higher voltages.

Glen, K9STH

Website:  http://k9sth.com