Re: [Amps] Alpha sez run it on 220

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha sez run it on 220
From: "Jerry Kaidor" <jerry@tr2.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 07:23:30 -0700 (PDT)

> Alpha is very clear on advice... Run Alphas on 220VAC lines and skip the
> CW/lower voltage position and run it in SSB/hi all the time.

> (or just need a
> new 220 line run).
*** That's a big "Just".  I figured out the SSB/Hi part myself.  Low/CW is
just too hard on the grids.

   This is a brand new stucco house.  I will have a hard time convincing
the XYL ( and indeed, myself ) that a pipe running along the side of
the house is a good idea.  And I have projects lined up that must be
accomplished before I can start a new major one.

   That being said, I plan to install a new 30A 220V circuit.  It will
go from the big breaker box at the front of the house and stop at the
garage to give me 220V there for the air compressor and the welders.  Then
continue on to the back end of the garage.  At the back end of the garage,
it will punch out to the outside and continue along the side of the house
and up to the radio room, which is on the second floor.  This work will
have to be done as neatly as I can possibly do it.  One circuit will work
for all of this,  because I don't weld and ham at the same time :).

   At this time, power out is 900W max on the bandpass positions.  I
believe and hope that this is because of poor 110V regulation, NOT
because the tubes are soft.

                         - Jerry Kaidor, KF6VB