Re: [Amps] 8877 Plate Voltage

To: <amps@contesting.com>, "Charles Bibb" <zedkay@telepak.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 8877 Plate Voltage
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 18:48:09 -0400
Since the 8877 is rated to 3000V in Class C AM service I wouldnt worry about
4200V or so in standby as long as its a known good tube that has been tested
at over 3KV.

The problem at over 3500V in operation is that it can get a bit unstable
unless good layout and construction are followed.

Use the Eimac GG socket assembly or make one similar using the Johnson
socket and a finger stock grid ring. You should also load it heavily and
just accept what comes out at whatever drive level is used. Light loading is
asking for trouble. Also use a parasitic suppressor....even if not
needed....no sense asking for trouble over a $2 part.

Ive built a few 6M amps running at around 4200V key down and all the smoke
stays in the output coax (-;

Carl
KM1H