Re: [Amps] Drake L4B 50K Resistors HOT!!

To: jim.thom@telus.net, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Drake L4B 50K Resistors HOT!!
From: Gudguyham@aol.com
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 08:00:15 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 7/23/2012 5:53:55 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jim.thom@telus.net writes:

was just  repairing a Drake L4B that I picked up from my want listing on
QTH.com. I just  happened to measure the temperature of the 50K 50 watt
resistors in the power  supply with my infrared thermometer and WOW!!

The middle of the  resistors run 510 degrees f !! I could not believe it!

Needless to say  there outta here! I won?t need them anyway. I?m using the
amp to prototype my  QSK board for the Drake L4-L7 amplifiers that will use
resistor cutoff bias  instead of the +120 volts that the resistors provide.

73
Jim  W7RY

OH SO TRUE!!!!!!!  it cracks me up.  Swan built the Mark I and  then the
Mark II.  Then they revised the
  Mark II.   Heathkit built the Warrior and then the SB  series came in.
When Collins decided to raise the grids above ground with  caps and use
masses amounts of cut off bias voltage the other companies followed  suit with
raised grids above ground and high cut off voltage.  The Swan  Mark II
revision (second edition) had the raised grids and higher voltage cut  off .
They
completely forgot or second guessed what they learned from their  previous
amps.  Heathkit followed suit with the SB-200 and 220 with raised  grids and
masses amounts of cut off bias.  Drake came on the scene at the  time with
their L4 and later L4B  they started right off the bat with that  nonsense.
Now poor Jim (and the rest of us should) go in their and do what  Jim has
done.  The problem is when you do that it marries the power supply  to that
amp!  It seems as though Collins had a stability problems with the  30L1
without enough cut off bias the 4 811A tubes could take off so once you
plaster
120vdc on them they aint goin' anywhere in cutoff.  The Yeasu  FL-2100B has
same problem so in the Z model they put in a V tripler so add more  V for cut
off.  Even when Viewstar caught wind of this they did it  also.  It seemed
to be the status quo  to follow what Collins did  because he was trying to
stabilize the 30L1 which the 3-500 tube amps didn't  need.  Oh, not to
Mention the Kenwood TL-922 did the same thing as  well.  The only one out there
that kept the faith was Denny.  he  didn't fall for that nonsense he just had
a different set of problems.