Re: [Amps] Forms for air wound coils

To: k8ri@rogerhalstead.com, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Forms for air wound coils
From: Gudguyham@aol.com
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 17:48:15 -0400 (EDT)
Roger, I used to use white PVC to make chimneys for my GS-35B amps.   They
worked for me but customers would hammer the amps and the PVC would burn
and bubble.  The usage I am looking for is a form to wind about a 20uh coil
of #10 or 12 wire (teflon) wire for 160 meters.  I thought if I used Teflon
wire that the form wouldn't need to be overly sensitive to temperature.  I
was told it would not work, maybe that information was wrong?

In a message dated 7/23/2012 5:13:50 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
k8ri@rogerhalstead.com writes:

On  7/23/2012 4:38 PM, Gudguyham@aol.com wrote:
> Other than ceramic, can  anything else be used as a coil form?   Heathkit
> used a  fiberglass form in the SB-220.  At least I think it was
fiberglass.
> Seems to have worked OK.  Dentron used what looks to  be  some type of
> phenolic material.  Not really sure what it  was.   Anything out there
that can be
> used that does not  cost an arm and a leg?  I  am looking to make a coil
for
> RF  about 1 1/2" to 1 3/4" dia about 6" long. Not  to be used for  plate
> chokes. Lou

You didn't say how you are going to use this  so I don't know what temps
will be involved.  There are many every  day items that can be used, but
some, or many do not handle elevated  temperatures well.

Carpet rolls come in many sizes, I don't know if any  are that small
though. Then just go into a big box store and look for  plastic handles,
rollers,or even toilet paper roll centers.  They are  flimsy, but given a
good coat of shellac they become rigid.  Another  thought is plastic
drain pipe for sinks.

I built an 8" Newtonian  telescope out of a 10" carpet tube and *LOTs*
of shellac (bout 10 coats),  so just look for any thing round about the
right size and that is an  insulator.

73

Roger (K8RI)