[Amps] Amplifying RF

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Amplifying RF
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 17:31:59 -0700
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 13:12:55 -0700
From: "Paul" <w8aef@q.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Amplifying RF

I seem to remember reading somewhere that there were more SB-220's sold than
ALL of the other 1kw + amplifiers combined.

Not responsible for repeating unconfirmed hearsay...

de Paul, W8AEF

##  I believe  between the SB-220  and the SB-221.... 52,500  were sold.
I have no numbers for the SB-200, but they sold a lot of them too.

##  any kit has to be designed as a kit..with detailed instructions..and at
least
heath had superb manuals.   Too bad  Ameritron   didn’t offer their amps
in kit form.   Then they would not have to build em.... you would!   The flip
side is
the packaging for a jillion small parts, like any heathkit  is just an unreal
project by itself.
ALL the parts would have to be individually packaged..AND well labeled.

##  I agree though, a  simple, no frills  2-3  x  3-500Z amp  would be the
ideal ticket... AND
ensure that  Chinese 3-500Z’s  would be still be being built till hell freezes
over.
A 3 holer would provide 1500w  CCS anode diss.  Put the  HV supply in a separate
box like drake did.   Stick a window on the front so you could see the tubes,
make it a
kit, and you have a 21st century  “SB-220” .   With the HV supply in a separate
box, you
could also TWO versions of  a HV supply,  normal and ....”heavy duty”.

##  Heck,  you could then also sell JUST the RF deck alone... for folks that
already
have parts for a HV supply, or already have a suitable working HV supply.

It would  be a winner... as long as it’s  designed right....and  NO fubar.

Jim  VE7RF