Re: [Amps] The dilemma of Tx tube

To: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>, "Rob Atkinson" <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] The dilemma of Tx tube
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 06:41:18 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Carl
Sent: Thursday, August 02, 2012 5:51 AM
To: Rob Atkinson ; Jim Thomson
Cc: amps@contesting.com

And Jims "assumptions" that a 4-1000A always has poor IMD is just plain
wrong. In AB1 grid driven start off with a set of Ians tetrode boards or
similar before assuming anything.
In GG it will be about 5-6dB better if you get the input network working
properly.

Carl
KM1H

###  Forget AB-1.   I never did  see a 4-1000 in AB-1.
  What did you measure  for IMD on a 4-1000 in GG.
My tuned inputs were dead on back then.  They consisted
of Millen 69046 tuneable slugs  + silver mica's.   One per band,
and bandswitched.  The tuned inputs  for 80-15m  were next to the socket.
Every SA plot I saw depicted lousy IMD.  Any 3-500Z amp was better than a
GG  4-1000.

##  back then, nobody ran that tube at 1200w out and  3 kv.

Jim  VE7RF