Re: [Amps] 3CX1500A7 pulled from MRI

To: jerry@tr2.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3CX1500A7 pulled from MRI
From: Gudguyham@aol.com
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 19:53:29 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 8/2/2012 7:45:26 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jerry@tr2.com writes:

*** I  wonder if any of it got shipped to the third world?  I bet there  are
plenty of clinics out there that would *love* to have some old,  obsolete,
unreliable MRI machines....

No, I doubt it.  Most companies trash it and take a write off.   It goes to
companies who strip them down and sell parts individually.   Years ago a
friend of mine got the name "Dumpster Diver".  He worked for  Perkin Elmer and
they would just throw the old 8877 spectrometers in the  dumpster when they
were retired.  He would retrieve them and bring them  home.  At one time he
had as many as 5 complete units which we later  converted to 6 and 2 meter
amps for the VHF contest station.  I think 2 or  3 still remain in the crypt
waiting for some other use.  Imagine just  heaving that stuff in a
dumpster?  Also they would throw out half full  rolls of wire with as many as
500
feet of unused wire of all sorts.   Another buddy of mine retrieved all that
wire and has it stacked up in his  garage.  he was also a Perkin Elmer
employee.