[Amps] 8877 operation at 2KV anode voltage?

To: "Amps@contesting.com" <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] 8877 operation at 2KV anode voltage?
From: Jim Barber <audioguy@q.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2012 18:28:44 -0700
Rick's question about refitting an Alpha 76/78 with a GS-35B got me
thinking again about
about using an 8877 instead. I have several good tubes that have been
sitting around for
years, and now that I'm trying to wean myself away from PA77's they have
no preordained
future use.

I haven't used the 8877 below 3500V myself, so I dug around and found a
Penta Labs data sheet that
shows Class B operation with 2KV on the anode, although the example
given is for FM BC.
Anyway,  pushing the tube up to maximum plate current (1A) results in
60ma of grid current, which they
don't seem concerned about. Output is 1330 watts, at 66.5% efficiency
when driven with 64 watts.

So... Since the cooling requirements of the 8877 are relatively modest,
if one found a place for the
heater transformer it looks like it could be done. Any reason why not?

Thanks,
Jim N7CXI