[Amps] new QRO 3K

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] new QRO 3K
From: Charles Harpole <k4vud@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2012 01:53:05 +0000
Ok, I like the way it looks.   Well graduated markings for the tuning knobs,
full-time grid meter, weird ALC adjust on front panel (do we really need many
re-settings of this function?), and choice of fan speed up front, nice.
Notice, no low/hi voltage sw., interesting.  Rear panel shows interesting input
adjustments available for each band, a very unique feature, especially
available from outside the case.  Both sides of AC line fused, good.  Odd there
is no "RF relative output" metering at all implying not tuning for max smoke.
And, is that a butch blower or what?  Looks like the 8877 will be tube of
forced choice for the future. Ham radios are too pretty today, except this one.
 Rumors are that Y, K, I spend more on the design and mfg of the front panels
than the innards.  An amp should look raw and mean, not like a stereo (remember
the TR-7 ?). BTW, established brands need to get out into the installed base of
the market fast now prior to the on-coming cheap Chinese stuff.  73
 ,

Charles Harpole
k4vud@hotmail.com