Re: [Amps] Multiple Amplifier Switching Box

To: Michael Clarson <wv2zow@gmail.com>, Amps Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Multiple Amplifier Switching Box
From: chas <chasm@texas.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 17:27:50 -0500
On 8/23/12 3:32 PM, Michael Clarson wrote:
> N2BC: I understand now. I use an SB220, no QSK, so that didn't enter the
> thought process. So, IF one were to series QSK capable amps, it would
> require rework of the amps and some interconnection with the first one,
> creating a QSK amp string, and at that point, the switching box may be a
> simpler approach. -- Mike, WV2ZOW

I am confused by this thread's apparent intent...
I first thought that it was about having two or three amps powered up and
then making your choice as to which you wanted to use by switching the PA
relay from the txcvr  which would key one of the active amps (with its tuner).
If you wanted to use a different amp/tuner, you would switch from/to the
keying or activating coax of the first amp to the next amp.  The next
impression I got was that of keying two amps at the same time ??? as if that
would solve anything.  I don't think that output is "additive" or summing
which means running two 300W amps simultaneously is not going to result in
600W <G>.

I can see value in the idea of switching from my cube to my SB220 to my 374A
to gain greater power but I should think that the better idea would be to
just choose the best amp for the purpose at hand and leave the others
turned/powered off.  If there is a way to do this (while taking into
consideration RF sensing), I would like to know how to do it.

I must have missed the original message which explained the purpose or why
the thread's originator wanted to switch amps...

just confused and asking for clarification?

73 es tnx  chas  k5dam