Re: [Amps] Silver solder

To: Charles Harpole <k4vud@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Silver solder
From: "David C. Hallam" <dhallam@knology.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 08:55:01 -0400
Are you sure you mean 100% silver solder?  I don't believe there is any
100% silver solder.  Even silver brazing alloy is not 100% silver.
There is 100% water safe silver solder which is a tin/silver solder used
for contact with drinking water.

David
KW4DH

On 8/26/2012 8:35 PM, Charles Harpole wrote:
> 100% silver solder is on the shelf for sale in Thailand.  Also, Thailand dont
> need no stinking limit on its use of lead.   Also, dont breath the flux smoke.
>
> Charles Harpole
> k4vud@hotmail.com
>   > Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2012 12:41:55 -0700
>> From: audioguy@q.com
>> To: k5am@zianet.com
>> CC: amps@contesting.com
>> Subject: [Amps] Silver-bearing solder? (WAS: Re:  Solder flux)

>>> More easily, a drop of liquid flux, and reheating, will brighten up
>>> the connection.
>>>
>>> 73,
>>>
>>> Mark, K5AM
>>> www.zianet.com/k5am
>> Which brings to mind a related question:
>> What's the latest thinking about using silver-bearing
>> solder in amp tank circuits? In the US, Radio Shack
>> sells 62/36/2% tin/lead/silver solder for $7 USD for
>> a 1.5 oz roll. One roll will do most tank circuits, so
>> it isn't terribly expensive, relatively speaking.
>> Is 2% enough silver to make a significant difference
>> in the ability to withstand thermal cycling and
>> vibration?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jim N7CXI

A democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can
escape the obligation to pay it.
Alexis de Tocqueville