Re: [Amps] Solder flux

To: Mark K5AM <k5am@zianet.com>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Solder flux
From: Colin Lamb <k7fm@teleport.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 09:54:06 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
"Why is new solder better?"

Many years ago, my Ten-Tec Paragon PLL failed.  A call to Ten-Tec tech informed
me that was a common problem, due to bad wave soldering on the PLL boards.  He
recommended sucking all of the solder out and resoldering.

Thinking I was smarter than the Ten-Tec tech, I carefully resoldered each joint
on the board.  Unfortunately, I still had the same problem.  Defeated, I did as
told and removed the solder from each joint and resoldered.  And, yes it worked
perfectly, and is still working.

I still do not understand why the resoldering did not work - but from this
point, I remove the old solder as Carl does.

73,  Colin  K7FM