[Amps] RF insulating materials - engineered plastics

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] RF insulating materials - engineered plastics
From: "John Lyles" <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 13:53:45 -0600
Several things could explain what is described:

1) The RF oscillator in the preheater is free-running. It is affected by the
dielectric in the air capacitor zone. In addition, it is coupled such that as
it is loaded, voltage is not constant, as the frequency is pulled. I measured
the voltage years ago with a spark gap using 1 inch balls without loading. Lot
of variability there. To do it right I would have had to breakdown a ball gap
in each measurement, which is very time consuming. So I approximated 15 kV as
typical voltage, and it is certainly a very strong RF field such as might be
expected in a large amplifier or resonator.

2) The RF current that is referred to from calculated reactance and voltage is
circulating in the tank network of the heater. I was using DC plate current
from the plate ammeter.

Someone pointed out to me, in asking why I could not measure favorite material
XXX or YYYY and post that too. While I would love to have the time and variety
of prepared pucks of each material that we all may use in our craft, I was only
concerned with the reliable and known materials that I have refined in my own
toolbox, for RF insulation. YMMV - as they say! I cannot afford to be using
plastic materials that are not specified for dielectric properties, marginal or
absorb moisture in high fields. It is just a waste of my own time if I know it
might bite me someday, or melt down in the middle of the night in machines that
run 24/7. You can buy the same materials at any plastic suppliers worldwide, or
use a substitute with less-known characteristics. It pays to at least heed the
dielectric data on the material data sheets, except that many times it is only
specified at 1 MHz or 100 KHz, and not at HF or VHF. Loss tangent varies in
most cases. That said, I would be happy to du
 plicate
the experiment in a more relaxed time frame, if sample pucks were provided to
me in the correct geometry for comparison. This might lead to some interesting
if not ugly postings! RF is such a fickle thing, when we are dealing with
standing waves and voltage/currents in the wrong places and materials.
73,
John K5PRO