Re: [Amps] Small transformer evaluation

To: AMPS <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Small transformer evaluation
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2012 16:51:36 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:
On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 14:20:58 -0700, Vic wrote:

>It's going to feed a transistor regulator. I'm sure it will be a capacitor
>filter because
>of the voltage.

REPLY:
 A transistor regulator is ok, but my personal preference is for a high power
zener diode (or two in series). Adjust the resistor feeding the zeners so the
idle current through them is about 125% of the maximum current the tube's screen
will ever draw and that's good enough.

In my amp I used a pair of 50 watt zeners and mounted them right in the airflow
from the blower. If you get one zener with the anode as the case and the other
as the cathode, you can mount them both directly to the heat sink, which must be
insulated from ground, of course.

73, Bill W6WRT