Re: [Amps] current threads about silver solder and resoldering

To: ampS <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] current threads about silver solder and resoldering
From: Bill Fuqua <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2012 01:54:37 -0400
I have a habit of calling it lead tin solder and getting the ratio backwards. I recalled that the ratios of lead and tin atoms had to be an integer to for the lowest melting point. Other wise you would have a mix of alloys some regions with extra atom of one of the materials or the other. Not having an integer ratio of atoms broadens the temperature region between the solid and liquid states. On a microscopic scale some areas would be liquid and others would still be solid. With a perfect ratio of atoms and properly mixed and alloyed you get a clean transition between the solid and liquid states.
The ideal ratio is 3. I quickly did my math and came up with the wrong result.
The ratio of atoms with the rounded off 63/37 is 2.971948.

sorry for the error.
73
Bill wa4lav