Re: [Amps] (no subject)

To: AMPS <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] (no subject)
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2012 12:00:35 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:
On Mon, 3 Sep 2012 06:54:31 -0700 (PDT), Douglas wrote:

>putting together a 3200v ps, I am going to use chassis mount bleeder resistors
>mounted on an
aluminum plate (grounded) , will they handle the voltage ok without arc over or
would ceramic bleeders with standoffs be a safer bet?  ...Doug, w9iix

REPLY:
Assuming you're using a series of eight or ten electrolytic caps in series, I'd
use either metal film or metal oxide film resistors. You don't need to mount
them on standoffs, just solder them to the filter caps in the normal way.

If you're using a single high voltage cap, then mount them on standoffs and use
either eight or ten resistors in series.

Either way, I'd use a string of 100k 5w resistors. Do not use the old carbon
composition type resistors as their long term stability is poor.

73, Bill W6WRT