[Amps] Dentron 160-10L 10 meter issue

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Dentron 160-10L 10 meter issue
From: Tim Kass <k8wbl@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 05:57:35 -0700 (PDT)
Hey Group,

Well, finally got around to completing the project I bought a year ago...the
amp had blown diodes.  I replaced all the diodes, put in a circuit board for
the new caps, upgraded the 811A's to new 572B's, put in a 6" inch fan, new
circuit breaker and new, heavier, RF choke with suppressor kit (Ameritrons kit)
..works well except when I tried it on 10 meters last night...SWR
infinite....was this one of those amps that Dentron put in the block for the 10
meter band so the Childrens Band folks dont try to use it?  Seems like its a
dead short...simple to open it back up again but also thought maybe it could be
parasitics, etc...the manual states in capital letters to have the amp load and
tune positions set to their specifications before attempting to transmit.  I
know Dentrons had issues with parasitics, reason for the new RF choke and top
mounted suppressor kit... any thoughts?  Carl?  Just like to hear any
suggestions or experiences before I open it
 back up again ... also..case is removed at it was shorting out to the top of
the case on 20 meters, poor Dentron design to have any metal THAT close to the
top of the main coil...probably what blew it up in the first place..guy told me
he was operating it on 20 meters CW when it blew.

73, Tim K8WBL