[Amps] 8877 Grid Current

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] 8877 Grid Current
From: "Larry P. Greenberg" <wa9mag@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 20:39:26 -0500
For a good number of years, I had a Henry 3K Classic export with a single 8877.
 Peak power (fully tuned) occurred when the grid current was low, around 10 to
20 MA.  I recently picked up an Alpha 77DX with a single 8877.  Peak power
(fully tuned) occurs when grid current is around 100 MA.  Why is there a
difference in operating grid current between the two amplifiers?  What is the
maximum grid current an 8877 can operate with  out destroying the tube?

Larry, WA9MAG