Re: [Amps] This Month's QST Article

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] This Month's QST Article
From: Steve Thompson <g8gsq72@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 08:19:17 +0100
I haven't seen QST but have built some 1kW amps using the current crop of LDMOS transistors - several for 144MHz, 50odd for 200MHz pulsed applications.

27dB gain - yes, that's what you get. I haven't seen the >70% efficiency figures others have reported.

There's lots of examples out there, look up F1JRD, F1TE, W6PQL to name a few off the top of my head.

F1JRD tested an amp with 10ms pulses into all phases of very high VSWR and it survived, so if you use a SWR trip that acts faster than that an amp should survive mishaps at the output.

Steve
Have any of you read the solid state 2-meter amplifier article in QST this month?

New solid state device.

75% efficiency.  Also, 27 db gain.  Are these claims true?

Seems to be a good device at a reported cost of $270 dollars.

Lee - K0WA