Re: [Amps] Question re GU-74B capability

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Question re GU-74B capability
From: "Leigh Turner" <invertech@frontierisp.net.au>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 11:36:59 +1030
Carl, your and Val's comments below have nailed the story of the GU74B
precisely; that is what I'd meant in my earlier comment about good tubes
being in the hands of good amplifier designers who properly understand the
tube they're working with and accordingly go to the trouble to produce a
superb amplifier product around it. ACOM and Emtron understood this and
between them produced thousands of successful amps for a global market based
on this fine tube. The popularity of the ACOM-1000, ACOM-2000 and DX-1 amps
speak for themselves.

You're spot-on when saying that not all amp manufacturers using the
4CX800A/GU74B did this, and consequently many hams used these amps above
their capability and experienced short tube life. Caveat emptor!

You must remember that the GU74B was specifically made for the military, and
is very conservatively spec'd and rated at 600 Watts plate dissipation. Take
one GU74B tube in one hand, and the famous Eimac 3CX800A7 rated at 800 watts
plate dissipation in the other hand, and judge for yourself.

By the way, who won the space race?? The US nearly browned their pants, when
Jurij Gagarin was circulating the earth :-)

Leigh
VK5KLT