Re: [Amps] Air Variable Spacing Question

To: 4cx250b@muohio.edu, Amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Air Variable Spacing Question
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 15:16:10 -0500 (EST)
Jim, with a little reverse engineering and thinking through this:  2500v /
1.88A = 1330 / 1.8 = 739 ohms (approx).

One would hope for 60% efficiency so power generated = 2500v X 1.88A = 4700
 (w input) X .6 = 2820w.

The voltage at 739 ohms = sqr( 2820 X 739) = 1444 rms. Peak voltage would
be 1444 X 1.414 = 2042 v.

If the capacitor has a peak voltage rating of 3200 v then there would be a
safety margin of 3200 - 2042 = 1148 v peak. Or, room for a vswr mishap that
 would cause an increase of about 56% of the transformed impedance.

While not bullet proof, it seems if you were to take care that the
amplifier would always have a reasonable load this would work just fine. It
probably is a good idea to roughly calibrate the tune and load settings vs
frequency to prevent a tuning situation allowing the plate load impedance to
rise
to a damaging level.

So, in my mind the plate load impedance is very important.

If my numbers are off I am sure an eagle eyed reader will catch it!

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 12/5/2012 3:03:42 A.M. Central Standard Time,