Re: [Amps] hf-2500

To: "Larry Benko" <xxw0qe@comcast.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] hf-2500
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 10:17:53 -0500
I have a 2500 on the bench right now and there is no sign of overheating. The owner uses it strictly on 75 SSB which might explain it but the amp easily puts out 2200W +. Perhaps different gauge wire was used during production, this one has blue #12 stranded silver plated Teflon and is a 1996 build. Ive worked on several others and dont remember wire size but the insulation was black. The skinny braid used to go to the switch probably doesnt help either. Those were all earlier models and the toroids were fine from even contest use.

IMO it is a fine CW/SSB amp and like many others should be derated for RTTY. The transformer isnt that robust anyway.

Carl
KM1H

----- Original Message ----- From: "Larry Benko" <xxw0qe@comcast.net>