Re: [Amps] New 4-1000 Tubes ?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] New 4-1000 Tubes ?
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2013 10:25:03 -0500
On 1/7/2013 9:32 AM, Hsu wrote:
Why few amp manufacturer use GU-81M,?it is cheap and rugged.

Probably because the manufacturers data sheet de-rates the GU-81 rapidly as you go up in frequency. Few home brewers OTOH run them within their ratings. According to builders in Europe they run 3 KW out of a pair with no forced air cooling. Apparently this is a tube that can really be abused and still hold up. I have no idea as to the IM when used like this, but Carl might.

A pair do make a nice looking amp that is also quiet. I've been playing with the idea of a pair on 160 through 40 or even single band.

73 Roger (K8RI)

Dr Alex Gavva   QRO Parts Site: http://www.ur4ll.net
UR4LL
KO70XG          mailto:ur4ll@ur4ll.net