Re: [Amps] Amps Digest, Vol 121, Issue 15

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Amps Digest, Vol 121, Issue 15
From: LB3HC <rezycle.bin@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 18:35:31 +0100
> Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 08:07:26 -0800
> From: "k7fm" <k7fm@teleport.com>
> Cc: "Amps reflector" <amps@contesting.com>
> Subject: Re: [Amps] Hi-Pot Tester for sale
>
> I see that the Tektnonix museum in Portland (Vintagetek) has a Hi-Pot tester
> for sale for $100.
>
> If interested, the website is
> http://vintagetek.org/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=12_10&products_id=342
>
> I am not connected with the operation.
>
> 73,  Colin  K7FM
Hi Colin. Thanks for posting.

I took a look at that Hi-Pot tester. That unit is not suitable for testing
vacuum capacitors nor most high power vacuum tubes according to my view. The
reason is that the output voltage looks like it only goes to 3KV. It looks like
it has been made to check power supply inputs for overvoltage tolerance.

I would suggest building your own Hi.Pot tester instead.

I have posted information on my website that can inspire people that wants to
build their own. My homemade Hi-Pot tester goes to approx 16 KV DC and can
measure current up to 100uA. It is fully isolated and cost less than 100 USD to
build (I had the variac already):

Images of the build process: http://www.lb3hc.net/hipot
Equivalent schematic is posted here: http://www.lb3hc.net/archives/1142
Some example of practical use on a YC-179 here:
http://www.lb3hc.net/archives/1116
Some other HV stuff (crowbar): http://www.lb3hc.net/archives/1171

Disclaimer: if you attempt to undertake a project like this, be sure you know
what you are doing. High voltage can be lethal.

73
LB3HC