[Amps] Plate RF choke

To: AMPS <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Plate RF choke
From: rick darwicki <n6pe@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 10:21:32 -0800 (PST)
Hi all,

I continue to have problems with limited space for an Ameritron RFC in my Alpha
76. It arcs to the old style long capacitor.

Working on an old HT-41 I noticed it has a smaller diameter multi-pi layer RFC
with sort of twisted wiring in the layers. I haven't measured it yet but I
assume it would'nt have much self resonance in the ham or WARC bands. It
appears to be more than the 190uh or so I might need for the Alpha. The HT-41
was rated at about 500ma max plate current.

Considering swapping the RFC's but worried about the current, any comments?

Also, the Alpha is a 3 holer and could draw as much as 1200 ma. I can rewind a
burned Ameritron choke and get the self resonances further away from operating
points. Question is what is the minimum size wire I should use in the choke. I
know it isn't the DC current listed in wire tables, but have no idea how small
I can go.

Thanks

Rick, N6PE