Re: [Amps] 8877 won't load on 80M

To: Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 8877 won't load on 80M
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 14:07:55 -0800
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:
On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 13:30:59 -0800 (PST), NY1E wrote:

>I just dug out the Cantenna, same thing!

REPLY:
Here's how I would approach the problem:

1. Before anything else, look for a bad contact on the bandswitch or other
wiring problem such as a bad solder joint, etc.

2. Using a pi-network calculator, calculate the values for the tune cap,
load cap and coil. You can google for one or I can email you a spreadsheet
which will do it much faster. Works with Excel, OpenOffice or LibreOffice.

3. Using an LC meter such as the AADE model, measure each element in your
amp. With most meters, you must disconnect the plate choke because the
measurement is done at a low frequency.

4. Finally, use an SWR analyzer in reverse. If you are not familiar with
this procedure, I can explain further.

One of the above steps will almost certainly pinpoint the problem.

Bill, W6WRT