Re: [Amps] Alpha 86 Plate RFC

To: "rick darwicki" <n6pe@yahoo.com>, "AMPS" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 86 Plate RFC
From: "Paul" <w8aef@q.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 08:58:27 -0700
I found my RFC fabrication note:

Built the choke, fabricated a delrin cam attached to the Alpha’s bandswitch shaft that would operate a microswitch that in turn operates a relay to switch the 2nd section of the RF choke in for 80 & 160 operation (idea stolen from a Dick Byrd modified amplifier) and my 3 tube Alpha 76CA now works fine on all bands from 1.8 to 32 MHz.

My version of the 86 choke consists of 100 turns of 23 gauge enameled wire for the 40-10 section and 43 turns for the 80 & 160m section wound on a 3/4” diameter x 6 1/2” long delrin form that I found on eBay.

I used the antenna relay salvaged from my #1 Alpha when I converted it to QSK and copied the switching circuit from the 86 manual.

Now I have two amplifers with the reliability of a concrete block and capable of running full power output on all HF bands.

de Paul, W8AEF

ZF2JI/ZF2TA 8Q7AA FO8DX/FO0PLA XZ0A VU7RG/VU3PYM TX5A A52PP

-----Original Message----- From: rick darwicki