Re: [Amps] 813 efficiency

To: Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 813 efficiency
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 10:18:19 -0800
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:
On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 10:43:14 -0500, Carl wrote:

>The 803 is another tube that is way underated for Pd.

REPLY:
That could be, I've never used one.

It's pretty moot anyway. I suspect in a few years transistors will dominate
ham amplifiers. Yes, cooling is a problem, but I do like the no tune, no
warmup and instant band changing they offer.

A pair of Microsemi ARF 1500s can be had for less than $400 and will output
1500 watts PEP CW/SSB or 1 kW RTTY.

Tubes will never go away completely, but the little silicon guys are
gaining. Take a look at the specs for the IC-PW1 for example. I'm in the
market for one if anyone has one for sale.

Bill, W6WRT