[Amps] FW: Re: Heatsinks for SSPAs - Newbie Questions and UK source

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] FW: Re: Heatsinks for SSPAs - Newbie Questions and UK source
From: peter chadwick <g8on@fsmail.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2013 23:38:03 +0100
From: "peter chadwick"
To: "Bill Turner"

Heat only rises in air, where it heats the air and makes that rise.

Message Received: Mar 01 2013, 10:14 PM
From: "Bill Turner"
To: "Amps"

Just thinking about heatsinks for homebrew SS rigs. Here's an idea, maybe
a bit in-elegant but I bet it would work like a champ.

Use a conventional aluminum chassis and mount the transistors on the bottom
side flip it over and fill it with water. Don't laugh. Just put the bottom
(now the top) cover on it and seal everything up with RTV silicone. Put
some hose fittings on it, one for inlet and one for outlet . I'll leave
that part up to your imagination. Hint: thermal switch with an external
valve for the water.

You want the transistors on the bottom because heat rises.

Haven't tried it myself but I bet it would dissipate anything you could
throw at it and no fan noise either.

Thoughts?

Bill, W6WRT