Re: [Amps] Expert 2K / lack of specs / pragmatism prevails

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Expert 2K / lack of specs / pragmatism prevails
From: "Leigh Turner" <invertech@frontierisp.net.au>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 11:18:18 +1030
Jim, I think some of these small footprint SS amps are just so compelling
and attractive to hams, particularly the DX Expeditioners who lug them to
remote locations, prospective purchasers rely more on fellow ham word of
mouth and their own assessment of how they sound on-air; rather than being
overly influenced by manufacturer's marketing specs.

The IMD of the Yaesu Quadra, the Icom PW-1, and the more compact THP, SPE
Expert, etc, at their respective rated power output is nothing to write home
about and is mediocre at best. However, the average ham deems them to be
"good enough" to meet my below aforementioned criterion. Technocrat purists
live in a sheltered world all of their own. Few hams run the likes of a
Harris RF-110A amp or modern SS equivalent.

When homebrewing big SS amps I've found designing 'em big and de-rating them
a couple of dB below sat Po yields plenty adequate IMD performance for clean
ham band SSB use. Certainly commensurate with the IMD of modern transceiver
PA stages and their associated ALC Tx power control loops.

Inefficiency is the inevitable trade-off one makes when wanting to run the
SS amp clean.

Leigh
VK5KLT