Re: [Amps] Expert 1k amp

To: Steve Thompson <g8gsq72@gmail.com>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Expert 1k amp
From: peter chadwick <g8on@fsmail.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2013 11:05:52 +0100
Steve,
How much filtering is there to meet EU regs on noise put on the mains, and is
there any power factor correction circuitry?
73
Peter G3RZP

Message Received: Mar 07 2013, 08:50 AM
From: "Steve Thompson"
To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Expert 1k amp

Yesterday I did some minor repairs to a friend's amp - resoldering
joints on the current sensing resistor. Looking at the circuits
later I noticed that the main supply voltage is regulated by
having SCRs in place of diodes rectifying the transformer
secondary and the main smoothing capacitor is 47000uF.

My friend tells me the amp runs over 40A at full tilt, which means
something like 8.5V ripple on the supply (7V at 60Hz). That
strikes me as quite high and I'd expect to see some difference in
amplifier gain/output if I was running such an amp off a regulated
supply and altered the voltage that much. Has anyone measured one?
Is any 100/120Hz audible on a carrier?

Steve