Re: [Amps] Freescale LDMOS devices / load mismatch survival

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Freescale LDMOS devices / load mismatch survival
From: "Leigh Turner" <invertech@frontierisp.net.au>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 12:43:04 +1030
I'm always intrigued and puzzled why so many hams place so much reliance on
inherent brute force device survival per se when placing their amplifiers
through this kind of severe load and phase angle mismatch test.

With appropriate design and implementation of ancillary load impedance
sensing, protection, and fast acting shut-down circuitry then less rugged,
lower VDS breakdown QRO MOSFET devices will readily survive any VSWR load
you can throw at them.  Existing MOSFET RF devices are more than capable.

Inadequate thermal design issues that don't keep the actual device flange
temperature low enough are far more likely to be the underlying cause of
premature device failure in practical SS amplifiers.

Leigh
VK5KLT