[Amps] Coupling a blower to an air system socket

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Coupling a blower to an air system socket
From: John Lyles <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 14:49:54 -0600
I learned this in 1981 when 4CX20,000A/8990 tetrodes in Broadcast
Electronics FM30 transmitters would have a darkened center post for filament as the silver tarnished from heat. We applied a thermocouple and learned how hot it was. Eimac and most tube companies recommend to never operate at 200 degrees C on a ceramic metal tube envelope. Our mechanical engineer figured out that the air could be applied directly to this post, from either direction. As long as the air wasn't preheated, it could exhaust from the center area as well. So all of the transmitters of later production had a small tube sticking out from under the cavity, where warm air exhausted after cooling the filament stem. No connection required to the blower as it pressurized the box already. Some air came up through the socket to cool the screen grid connector but the bulk of the anode cooling came up through four RF-screened ports on the deck where they then escaped from the cavity up through the anode fins to the inside diameter of inner conductor in the resonator.

Point is, one doesn't have to 'hose' forced air to the filament stem area, if a measurable flow of air coming out of that can exit the box through a port below.

In a dual tetrode HF 100 kW amplifier I used two dedicated Rotron "Spiral" high pressure blowers with hoses, just for filament cooling. The anode was water cooled and only needed residual air through the circuit. Some air was needed for screen grid contact, that being provided by the same filament air leaking through the fingers of the socket. Being HF, the circulating current to the screen grid was not exorbitant.

In the currently produced high power 200 MHz cavity amplifiers, I use a dedicated 125 CFM blower (Cincinnati Fan with 10 inch cast aluminum impeller) and the back pressure is 10 inches of water pressure. It comes up through the lower filament connection (a 2 inch water pipe) and a UDEL plastic cylinder forces it around the center post, and through the lower fingers of the socket to escape back down the annulus between the pipe and a second larger diameter pipe. Being cathode driven, the pipes are resonant elements in the input circuit with high RF voltages. That air is very warm, but the tube remains 150 deg C under all conditions.

A second 325 CFM blower (14 inch impeller!) forces filtered air into the output cavity itself, where it blows across the screen and plate connector rings through the finger contacts to escape into the room through RF-tight penetrations. Being VHF, circulating current is high. With this air cooling, I am still using 1 GPM of water to cool the screen grid contact rings (the tube has small fittings for hoses) and 90 GPM to cool the plate. Nothing easy about cooling a tube of this size. I spent at least a month of the design and prototype time on cooling issues like these. The proof is in the testing, as Ian alluded to using temperature paints in the 1970s. I still use Tempilaq paints very frequently, not only for tube testing but also checking the operating temperature of various amplifier components. Then adjustments to air distribution are done to put the air flow where needed.

Now using 3D printed plastic parts to make air distribution components like 4 way hose splitter. Much easier than current and welding metal tubing and boxes. My air splitter alone is costing about as much as a kW HF amplifier.
73
John
K5PRO

Message: 1