[Amps] SB-230 drive VS power output

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] SB-230 drive VS power output
From: K4MT <k4mt@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 08:55:40 -0700 (PDT)
I have been fighting with my SB-230. Initially I was getting 500 watts CW key
down with about 85 watts drive and over 600 on my peak reading meter on SSB.
I slowly lost gain and finally I was only able to get about 300-400 key down
and about 450 ssb peak. I decided the 8873 may have died.
Today I took the tube out and cleaned the Beryllium block and heatsink, and
also cleaned a black badly tarnished grid ring and replaced both bypass caps.
When I put it together with new thermal grease etc, I now am back to 500 watts
cw and over 600 peak on SSb. This is with about 85 watts drive. Don't know what
fixed it!?
Is the normal for these amps as I can find no specs listing output power vs
drive level.  I noticed at 100 watts drive there is noticeable flat topping but
at 70-85 watts I get a nice clean scope display.