[Amps] instability issue

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] instability issue
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 06:53:20 -0700
Your conditions combine to the point of causing confusion.
Any amplifier that "looses it's load" or becomes underloaded will
develop an extremely high output Voltage. This could cause the output
relay destruction, or the output relay failure could be the source of
instability. (from the load loss)

The loading control needs to be normally set for FIVE percent more
output Voltage from damaging components. (or causing an arc) {because of
unknown variations such as a peak of power line Voltage}

###Its actually LESS capacity.  To increase the loading, you decrease the
load C value.   Tune it up for normal full bore then increase the loading so the
PO drops  1-2 %.    5% is a bit much,  but will ensure better linearity.

##  It looks like he has  a LOW freq parasitic problem.  that problem was
mentioned in the books, I think’s books.  There was a fix for it to..but I
will be dipped if I can remember.   There was a reason for the low freq
osc...and it had nothing to do with the load cap.

Jim  VE7RF

If you change to this one band and the normal setting of the loading
capacitor starts out, from the previous band, with the amplifier too
lightly loaded for you to correct in time arcs can be the result.
Changing things (tap) to prevent this unwanted condition is your first
step in my opinion.
--
Ron KA4INM