[Amps] More instability problems

To: "'' amps ''" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] More instability problems
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 10:02:34 -0400
Recently I asked about an instability problem after my 10 year old HB 4CX1500B amp suddenly started destroying vacuum relays. Thanks for all the advice! I discovered under certain conditions it was going into LF oscillation around 400 to 450 kHz (with lo load connected to the output).

I'm afraid there is more going on than originally thought. I used to be able to keep a table of tune/load presets and never have to vary from them unless my antennas were iced up. Now it seems the settings are constantly drifting. I have checked all connections in the amp and antenna system. Could this be a sign of tube or vacuum variable failure?

On the higher bands I am also seeing instability when tuning. While adjusting the tune and/or load caps, I'm seeing sudden jumps in antenna SWR and power output. Obviously this is a stability / parasitic problem. I am unable to determine if it is the same LF oscillation since there is so much RF at the desired frequency under these conditions.

Any new thoughts based on the above? This amp had been trouble free for 10 years prior to the onset of problems a couple of weeks ago. Something has clearly changed.

73,
Paul N1BUG