Re: [Amps] Getting a blower out of the shack

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Getting a blower out of the shack
From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 07:10:27 -0400
On 4/10/2013 7:42 AM, Rick Stealey wrote:
Thanks to each of you who replied with suggestions for my idea of remoting my
amp blower.  I now have a good idea of what to look for as far as the
components go, and will be making my first shopping visit today, looking around
Home Depot because I need to get more spray paint there for the rack that will
hold the amp.  This project is part of a shack rebuild that began in January
with the complete teardown of the walls in my shack.  I have insulated the
walls, provided an access panel for all I/O, and now want to make the HUGE
improvement of reducing the noise that my 8877 amp makes.  Your suggestions
have been very valuable.
Rick   K2XT

Although it will work, I'd personally avoid the dryer hose and sheet metal work as it's typically quite frafile. Tou can get custom sheet metal work done, but it's quite expendive.

OTOH the hose and fittings for dust collectors comes in a number of sizes, is easy to handle, comes with round to square adapters, size changes allowing larger tubing to smaller ports, is typically PVC, and not expensive. It can easily be installed in temporary or permanent installations and will handle far more pressure than you'll ever need.I have a 3 HP motor on mine eith an impeller using 1/4" thick steel blades, but it sucks instead of blows and every one in a while sucks up something large enough to make quite a bang! Makes me glad it has those heavy blades. Course with a blower like that you need it outside, or definitely a different room

73

Roger  (K8RI)

.